Memories of mom

Now that you have heard about the "temper " how about a funny.

My mother has always had the typical female animal fears. you know snakes, rats, mice. WE having me as a dd was not easy on those fears. If it crawled, slithered, walked, or flew, I wanted to bring it home and care for it. I always had something. I used to catch the mice in the house and keep them in my bedroom vanity drawer. I had Rats that a friend couldn't keep anymore so I took them. we had Horny toads every summer. we have taken care of baby rabbits and baby ducks right along with the puppies and kittens that every child loves.

I remember that both of my parents were very big proponents of leave better than you found it. More than once we would find and injured bird that the neighbor boy had shot with his bb gun not thinking. These were not your regular birds either, we have housed great horned owls and brown eagles.

The one bird though that will forever echo in my mind was the Killdeer. That neighbor boy shot at everything and this time he did a doosy .



For those of you that don't know most times when a Killdeer acts injured it is because she is protecting a nest so at first we thought that was what she was doing. As we watched though she didn't fly back to the nest. Being me we had to help her. so my mother gathered a blanket and a box scooped up the bird and brought her home. we called the sanctuary (which was where most of our friends after the weekend went) but they didn't accept the very common birds. My mother the nurse wrapped the birds wing and looked at me and said either she will live or she won't but will will keep her till whatever happens happens. She was a very quite birds for the first I would say 3 weeks and we seriously though she would die. Then came the day we knew she would be ok. Killdeers are NOT quite birds when hey are well they shriek and shriek and well coming from under the computer desk came this shrieking after about one more week my mother looked at me and said she is better and needs to go ( noise was giving her a headache). SO we took her out to my grandfathers Ranch and set her free. I learned 2 things from that, the first was that my mother loved me no matter what and other was sacrifice in any form almost always pays off.

if you want to hear what was in my house for a month go here: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyard_birds/bird_id/killdeer.aspx

No comments: